September 2018 Secondary School Transfer - Information for Parents
YEAR 7 ADMISSIONS - SEPTEMBER 2018
1st March 2018 - Outcome of Applications for Year 7 Intake
Surrey residents who applied online will have received an email from Surrey County Council about the outcome of their application in the evening of 1st March 2018. Applicants living in other areas will receive notification from their Local Authority.
The school will be sending a letter to all successful applicants by 1st class post on Monday 5th March to confirm their place at Hinchley Wood School. Included with the letter is a reply slip which we ask parents to return to the school in addition to their response to the Local Authority online.
Unsuccessful applicants are not automatically placed on the waiting list.
Applicants who included Hinchley Wood School as a preference on their application can ask to put their child’s name on the waiting list by following the procedure below:
- Download a Waiting List Form from here or collect a paper copy from the reception desk at the school.
- Complete the form in full and return it to the Admissions Team at the school:
- By post to: The Admissions Team, Hinchley Wood School, Claygate Lane, Esher, Surrey KT10 0AQ
- By email as a scanned document (attachment) to email@example.com
- Please ensure that you return your form by Thursday 15th March 2018.
- In order to go on the waiting list a form must be completed. An email request alone will not be sufficient. The Admissions Team are unable to acknowledge receipt of waiting list forms by email or post, however parents can telephone to ask for a verbal confirmation.
The waiting list will be drawn up from the replies received by Thursday 15th March 2018 and will be ranked according to the School’s admissions criteria (not on a first-come-first-served basis). Any available places will not be offered before Thursday 15th March. The waiting list will be finalised on Thursday 22nd March. The school will not be publishing waiting list positions by post or email but parents may wish to contact the Admissions Team by telephone from this date onwards to find out their child's position on the list. As we anticipate a high volume of calls at this time, the Admissions Team will be available to answer queries regarding the waiting list between 10am and 12 noon only from Thursday 22nd March onwards.
Unsuccessful applicants will have been allocated a place at another school which should be accepted if alternative arrangements for the child’s education have not been made. Should a place at Hinchley Wood School be offered from the waiting list at any point during the coming months, parents can then inform the other school that they not going to take up the place there.
In the event that we are unable to offer a place, there is an appeals procedure that gives a parent the right of appeal to an independent committee. Please see information on Admissions Appeals below.
The closing date for secondary applications was 31st October 2017
Please note: If an application is submitted after the closing date (31 October 2017) it will be treated as a late applicant and therefore may not receive an offer of a school place until after the national offer date, 1 March 2018. In some cases this may not be until the end of June 2018.
After the closing date, if you have not applied you can still apply. If you live locally and pay your Council Tax to Surrey County Council (Elmbridge or another Surrey borough) you can complete a paper parental preference form available from: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0300 200 1015. Please state that you require a secondary form.
If you live in another area (e.g. Kingston upon Thames, Merton, Richmond) please contact the Schools Admissions Team at your Local Authority as applications must be submitted through your home Authority.
For further information please contact: Gill Twells, Admissions Officer on 0208 398 7161 extn 110.
Important Dates for Applicants:
- 1 September 2017 - online admissions opened
- 27 September 2017 - Hinchley Wood School Open Evening
- 3 & 18 October 2017 - Hinchley Wood School Open Mornings
- 31 October 2017 - Closing date for applications
- 1 March 2018 - outcome letters sent from the Local Authority by first class post to parents who applied on paper and to parents who applied online but cannot be offered their first preference school.
- 1 March 2018- email sent from the Local Authority to parents who applied online giving the outcome of their application.
- 1 March 2018 - parents who applied online can log on to their application to view the outcome of their application.
- 2 March 2018 - letters sent from the Hinchley Wood School Admission Officer to parents of unsuccessful applicants, who placed Hinchley Wood School as their first preference, with reply slip to be returned if they wish to be placed on a waiting list.
- 15 March 2018 - parents must accept or decline their offer of a school place.
- 15 March 2018 - deadline for waiting list replies to be returned to the school.
- 22 March 2018 - waiting list goes live. Parents may contact the school to find out their child's position on the list.
- 29 March 2018 - notice of intent to lodge an appeal to be given to Clerk to Governors (see note below)
- 29 March 2018 - appeals forms available to download (see note below)
- 18 May 2018 - deadline for completed appeals forms to be returned to Surrey County Council (see note below)
ADMISSION APPEALS – SEPTEMBER 2018 ENTRY (YEAR 7)
In the event that we are unable to offer your child a place, there is an appeals procedure that gives a parent the right of appeal to an independent committee. If you would like to lodge an appeal please contact Mrs E Walsh, Clerk to the Governors at the school by Thursday 29 March 2018 in the first instance.
All admission appeals for this school are handled by the Surrey Schools Appeals Service based at County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames. All arrangements are made through the Appeals Service and appeals are normally held at County Hall. It is anticipated that all appeals for September 2018 entry will take place in late June/early July 2018.
From Thursday 29 March 2018, parents who have informed the school of their intent to appeal will be able to download the necessary forms and guidance notes from the Surrey County Council website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/schoolappeals . Please note: completed forms should be returned to Surrey County Council by 18 May 2018 in order to allow sufficient time to prepare for the appeals to be heard in June/July. If you would prefer to receive a hard copy of the forms and guidance notes, please contact the Clerk to Governors.
Contact Details for appeals information:
Mrs E Walsh, Clerk to Governors
Telephone: 020 8398 7161 ext 109
Please note that the deadline for submission of any additional, late evidence from appellants, that is not sent with the initial appeal, is no later than 5.00pm on the day preceding three clear working days prior to the appeal hearing date. Any evidence received after this date might not be considered at the appeal.