Why Work at Hinchley Wood?
Hinchley Wood School offers a positive and innovative learning ethos supported by students, staff, parents and governors. We value our staff and the professionalism and experience they bring to the school, and wherever possible we have tried to anticipate and build in holistic support, we offer:
- Two week Autumn half term
- A minimum two week break over the Christmas period.
- Early finish to the school timetable on Fridays.
- Free use of our on-site gym before and after the school day.
- Complimentary tea and coffee every day and a fully equipped and pleasant staff room.
- Large car park on site
- Free lunch and refreshments on INSET days.
- Free lunch for colleagues if they are staying later to attend parents’ evenings.
- Time off, cover permitting, for celebration of close family events eg child’s nativity play, graduation etc.
- Every Colleagues Matters – a group to represent and discuss staff matters.
- A supportive Staff Association which covers a range of events including provision of end of term food and drinks and sending small gifts to colleagues at times of celebration or loss.
- Concessionary/franked postage rates for staff and the school can be used as a delivery point for online personal purchases.
HWS has a very good record of staff retention & job enhancement opportunities, we offer a pleasant and supportive working environment and have established excellent staff:student working relationships. To improve working environments for staff we are committed to an on-going programme of investment. Over the last year this has included a rolling programme of classroom and corridor decoration, Premises, ICT and Science Preparation Room and Curriculum offices.
NQT and Post NQT Programme
We have a successful and established programme of support for newly qualified teachers, and those in their second year of teaching. This includes regular support meetings, a dedicated mentor, CPD sessions including a residential weekend and NQT support network.
For NQTs joining HWS we offer a ‘Golden Hello’ for NQTs in shortage subject areas.
We have an excellent CPD programme and many opportunities in school for staff to extend their professional knowledge and develop their skills. As a result, we have a very good record of staff gaining internal and external promotions and sharing good practice across departments.
There is a warm convivial atmosphere among the staff and mutual support between teaching and associate staff to ensure effective teaching and learning and the best outcomes for our students.
Staff have opportunities to work on cross curricular projects with students and colleagues, and this is actively encouraged.
Wide range of educational visits and extra-curricular activities
Staff are able to assist on a number of day/residential visits to extend their own experience and support students’ personal growth and also encouraged to get involved in extra curricular clubs. These have included:
- Trips as part of curriculum enhancement eg New York, Berlin, Paris
- Duke of Edinburgh – Bronze, Silver, Gold
- World Challenge trips, past trips have included India, Namibia and Uganda
- Combined Cadet Force
- Various sports clubs including tennis, hockey, football, rugby, netball and athletics.
Secure School Finances
In this time of uncertainty within education, the school is well placed to weather the storm including:
- Robust school finances during a period of much financial uncertainty
- 1% pay rise approved each year to date
- Performance Related Pay outcomes funded
Other Benefits include:
- Priority admission for children of all permanent postholders after 2 years’ service, or upon commencement for designated roles, identified at time of recruitment advert
- Cycle to Work salary sacrifice scheme
- Reduced rates at local service providers, eg Colets Health Club, Esher Tyre and Exhausts, Tolworth Recreation Centre, Esher Valet Dry Cleaners.
- Membership of either of the following pensions schemes, including a generous employer contribution;
- Teachers Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Occupational Health support.
- Recognition of previous maintained school or Academy continuous service.