UNI & FUTURES INFO
FUTURES INFORMATION PRESENTATIONS
Hinchley Wood Sixth Form runs a comprehensive Oxbridge Programme for Years 12 and 13.
Students with the relevant academic profile are invited to join at the start of Year 12. The group meets fortnightly to:
- Discuss ideas to develop their ability to think, problem solve and reason effectively in areas beyond the curriculum
- Deliver Presentations on an area of their specialist subject that they have independently researched
- Practice past entrance exam papers.
- Receive guidance on the application and selection process, additional reading, lectures, master classes, summer schools and other activities to thoroughly prepare them for their application.
OMS (Oxford Mentoring Scheme) is an online mentoring scheme which all candidates are encouraged to apply for. This provides regular online meetings with a current Oxford Undergraduate in the students’ specialist subject and 2 or 3 students from other schools. The Undergrad facilitates discussions, sets tasks and answers questions on the academic subject, admissions process and interviews.
Mock interviews are undertaken with all candidates often including external subject experts.
Enrichment Tutorials are offered to applicants from the group covering 8 weekly sessions delivered by two Oxford graduates on the history of thought, from The Enlightenment to Postmodernism, and include consideration of politics, art, literature, music and philosophy, culminating with an individual tutorial.
Subject Specialist Tutorials are offered by teachers at the school and replicate Oxbridge tutorials and interviews, challenging students to question and think more deeply about their chosen subject.
- We take students to Oxford for a day’s visit which includes two subject lectures and tour of the Colleges.
- A representative from Oxford visits to speak to the group about admissions, interviews, the application process and life at Oxford.
- Hinchley Wood Alumnae, studying at Oxford, return to the school to talk to the group about their experiences.
University Applications (UNIFROG access)
Please see below links to information that will help when making a university application. If you need help at any stage of the process please see Mrs Brandon or one of the sixth form team.
- Are you ready to apply?
- Researching Universities - A Guide
- Choosing a University Course
- Writing a Personal Statement
- How to access UNIFROG for Parents:
1.Website address: https://www.unifrog.org
2. Click on Sign In button top right hand corner
3. Click on Been Given a Form Code? > Sign in for the first time
4. On the page that opens up enter the code: parentshinchley
5. Enter your details and create your own password
6. Click Sign Up
You will now have access to the platform.
- See UCAS Widget (left) for quick help
Apprenticeships are an excellent alternative to University: Apprentices are paid from day one and have work experience in the career of their choice, as well as studying for a qualification up to, and including, degree level.
The process of application is quite demanding, however, if you are successful your employer will be investing a considerable amount of time and money in you whilst you are training for your qualification.
Gone are the days when apprenticeships used to only be in low level qualifications; degree apprenticeships are abundant – please use the guide and links below to explore the options.
- Government website for searching and applying for Apprenticeships https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Unifrog Apprenticeship Search and Apply tool: (students have log in) https://www.unifrog.org/student
- General information about school leavers programmes: https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/
- Information on Digital & Tech. Degree Apprenticeships https://www.thetechpartnership.com/degreeapprenticeships
- The UK’s 100 Most Popular Employers for School Leavers -download from https://targetcareers.co.uk/
- Times Top 100 Apprenticeship Providers: https://advice.milkround.com/the-times-guide-to-higher-and-degree-apprenticeships
Apprenticeship Opportunities with major companies
- BAE Systems https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/careers/careers-in-the-uk/apprenticeships
- Civil Service https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/civil-service-fast-track-apprenticeship
- Deloitte https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/misc/search.html - qr=apprenticeships
- PWC https://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/school-jobs.html
- Law https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-jobs/law-apprenticeships
- KPMG www.kpmg.com/uk/en/careers
- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee-schemes-and-apprenticeships
- GCHQ https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early-careers/apprenticeships.html
- Laing O’Rourke http://careers.laingorourke.com/explore-by-experience/apprentices.aspx
- Marks & Spencer http://careers.marksandspencer.com/apprenticeship
- GSK http://uk.gsk.com/en-gb/careers/apprenticeships/
- Sky http://www.workforsky.com/earlycareers/apprenticeship-programmes
- Boots https://www.boots.jobs/graduates-and-early-careers/apprenticeships/
- Virgin Media https://careers.virginmedia.com/early-careers/apprentices/
Mrs Brandon and the sixth form team are available if you have any questions or need help.
Year 12 students are expected to undertake a work experience placement during the last week of the summer term.