Each year the school Leadership Team sets a series of strategic priorities for the academic year ahead. In recent years these priorities have been drawn out of the three year School Improvement Plan (SIP) - the latest written in 2015 - which focuses on the following key areas:
- Outstanding personal achievement for all
- Encouraging high aspirations for all
- Providing a supportive learning culture
- Delivering an exciting and diverse education
- Developing responsible local, national and global citizens
The priorities for 2016/17 are:
- To embed the five Hinchley Wood Values with a specific focus on developing confidence and student resilience, teaching students that any perceived “failure” is a step towards success and celebrating a wide range of achievements.
- To embed the new HWS approach to KS3 curriculum and assessment in light of “life without levels”.
- To ensure that high quality planning, teaching, marking and feedback identifies and addresses individual needs, and the challenges facing all learners by providing differentiated learning opportunities. This includes providing effective support to the first cohort of NAS Cullum Centre students.
- To ensure all staff make effective use of data, including 4Matrix, to maximise positive outcomes for all learners.
- To continue to develop parental engagement strategies, including to embed a philosophy of ‘attend and achieve’ to enable parents to support the learning of their children.
- To embed “Sporting Excellence at HWS” throughout the school so that HWS becomes known in the region as a school with a strong sporting tradition.