September 2019 Secondary School Transfer - Information for Parents
Parents are advised to read the Admissions Criteria for September 2019 and information on how places were offered over the past three years.
YEAR 7 ADMISSIONS - SEPTEMBER 2019
The closing date for secondary applications is 31st October 2018. Applications are made online through your Local Authority website under the Co-ordinated Scheme for Secondary School Admissions or by paper application - please contact your Local Authority for details.
Please note: If an application is submitted after the closing date (31 October 2017) it will be treated as a late applicant and therefore may not receive an offer of a school place until after the national offer date, 1 March 2019. In some cases this may not be until the end of June 2019.
After the closing date, if you have not applied you can still apply. If you live locally and pay your Council Tax to Surrey County Council (Elmbridge or another Surrey borough) you can complete a paper parental preference form available from: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0300 200 1015. Please state that you require a secondary form.
If you live in another area (e.g. Kingston upon Thames, Merton, Richmond) please contact the Schools Admissions Team at your Local Authority as applications must be submitted through your home Authority.
For further information please contact: Gill Twells, Admissions Officer on 0208 398 7161 extn 110.
Important Dates for Applicants:
- 1 September 2018 - online admissions opened
- 26 September 2018 - Hinchley Wood School Open Evening
- 11 & 16 October 2018 - Hinchley Wood School Open Mornings
- 31 October 2018 - Closing date for applications
- 1 March 2019 - outcome letters sent from the Local Authority by first class post to parents who applied on paper and to parents who applied online but cannot be offered their first preference school.
- 1 March 2019- email sent from the Local Authority to parents who applied online giving the outcome of their application.
- 1 March 2019 - parents who applied online can log on to their application to view the outcome of their application.
- 4 March 2019 - letters sent from the Hinchley Wood School Admission Officer to parents of unsuccessful applicants, who placed Hinchley Wood School as their first preference, with reply slip to be returned if they wish to be placed on a waiting list.
- 15 March 2019 - parents must accept or decline their offer of a school place.
- 15 March 2019 - deadline for waiting list replies to be returned to the school.
- 22 March 2019 - waiting list goes live. Parents may contact the school to find out their child's position on the list.
- 29 March 2019 - notice of intent to lodge an appeal to be given to Clerk to Governors (see note below)
- 29 March 2019 - appeals forms available to download (see note below)
- 17 May 2019 - deadline for completed appeals forms to be returned to Surrey County Council (see note below)
ADMISSION APPEALS – SEPTEMBER 2019 ENTRY (YEAR 7)
In the event that we are unable to offer your child a place, there is an appeals procedure that gives a parent the right of appeal to an independent committee. If you would like to lodge an appeal please contact Mrs E Walsh, Clerk to the Governors at the school by Friday 29 March 2019 in the first instance.
All admission appeals for this school are handled by the Surrey Schools Appeals Service based at County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames. All arrangements are made through the Appeals Service and appeals are normally held at County Hall. It is anticipated that all appeals for September 2019 entry will take place in late June/early July 2019.
From Friday 29 March 2019, parents who have informed the school of their intent to appeal will be able to download the necessary forms and guidance notes from the Surrey County Council website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/schoolappeals . Please note: completed forms should be returned to Surrey County Council by 17 May 2018 in order to allow sufficient time to prepare for the appeals to be heard in June/July. If you would prefer to receive a hard copy of the forms and guidance notes, please contact the Clerk to Governors.
Contact Details for appeals information:
Mrs E Walsh, Clerk to Governors
Telephone: 020 8398 7161 ext 109
Please note that the deadline for submission of any additional, late evidence from appellants, that is not sent with the initial appeal, is no later than 5.00pm on the day preceding three clear working days prior to the appeal hearing date. Any evidence received after this date might not be considered at the appeal.